Showing off a UX/UI designer portfolio at an interview in addition to a regular CV is common practice. While the CV reflects the designer’s past and experience, only a portfolio can fully demonstrate their level of skill and imagination. Here you’ll find out how to create an online portfolio that will win over hearts and minds.
Why You Should Create an Online Portfolio
Before we start talking about the ways to create an impressive online portfolio, let’s dive deeper into the benefits that one might bring you.
Three reasons why a designer must have a portfolio:
- It allows you to showcase your projects in a professional way for clients and other professional designers. Why send your work in a badly presented way like an email or chat message as opposed to a badass portfolio? The online portfolio means that the customer does not have to download anything to their computer, which is convenient, reliable, and safe for them. Because you present yourself with a complete and curated online portfolio, you will get more positive feedback and you will demonstrate your professionalism.
- It helps you to gain recognition as a designer. If your projects are of high quality or if your portfolio is structured in a great way, surely you will be able to get excellent feedback from people who work in your own sector but also from people who come from other sectors.
- It contains all the necessary information. That is: it cancels all the limits that the classic curriculum can have. You can put everything on a portfolio: obviously your works but also your personal history as a professional, some anecdotes you may want to tell, behind the scenes of your best projects, blog, etc.
How to Create an Online Portfolio
There are two main methods of creating your online presence as a UX/UI designer and creating a portfolio that will stun professional UX/UI design agencies.
While many designers and other creative professionals believe that they need to have their own website, this is not absolutely necessary. You can build a website from scratch on WordPress, for example, and invest in its development and improvement. However, this can be costly and time-demanding if you don’t know what you are doing, so if you’re at the beginning of your career you might have a look at other options.
You can create a UX/UI online portfolio using a specialized network, for example, Behance.
Create a Portfolio with Behance
Creating a portfolio with Behance is simple, fast, and totally free! Simply register and create your own profile by entering various projects from time to time with their presentation and preview image.
What is Behance?
This website is an online network of creatives, designers, and artists. It’s a platform where you can post your work and discover the works of others.
One of the most important aspects of Behance, which has guaranteed its success, is the ability to exchange feedback between creatives by visiting, appreciating, or commenting on a project. It is also possible to follow the professionals we like most to be able to observe the updates and, of course, be followed accordingly.
In short, there are the likes, comments, and following, therefore one can almost define a social network dedicated to creative projects of any kind.
In fact, practically all types of work can be posted on Behance: from the study of a logo to a modeling project, from a freehand drawing to a 3D model of a building, you name it.
The important thing is that only really cool projects stand out on Behance.
The logical consequence of this, however, is that the projects posted on Behance must be extremely interesting, otherwise, they will go unnoticed by the community.
If you want to subscribe to Behance just go to the site and follow the procedure.
Now that you know what Behance is and have gotten an idea of how it works, let’s look at some of the advantages of using it.
The Pros and Cons of Behance
Behance offers many opportunities for UX/UI designers, product designers, and other creative professionals.
- Behance is a network. Having a portfolio on Behance allows you to have all the advantages that have been listed above, such as user interaction.
- Behance offers the possibility of being discovered by potential customers extremely quickly by searching the various projects or creatives on the site.
- It is a huge network that will allow you to broaden your horizons in other countries as well.
However, you might also face some challenges while working with this platform. For example:
- It is a huge network and wading through it can be very difficult. It takes a great effort to stand out.
- You are limited with functionality and interface provided by the platform. Behance does not offer total customization of your portfolio (unless you access Behance ProSite, but it also has serious design and code shortcomings). For example, projects cannot be divided into categories (such as illustration, logo design, web, etc.) or you cannot change fonts, colors, the layout of your profile structure, etc.
For these reasons, it might be useful to be aware of other free ways to create your online portfolio. You might choose the website you like best or create portfolios on a couple of them.
Other Free Online Portfolio Platforms
By searching online with keywords such as “create a free online portfolio” or “how to create a free online portfolio,” you will find an infinite number of free alternatives to create an online portfolio in addition to Behance. Two other common alternatives are Carbonmade and PortfolioBox.
All these sites offer the possibility of building a personal page with your works in a simple and intuitive way. However, they are not flawless. Use them at the beginning of your career, but once you feel like you can afford it, try to invest in your personal website.
If you are a UX/UI designer looking for a job, a professionally made online portfolio is what you need. Even if you cannot afford to create a personal website for that matter, don’t be upset. There are plenty of online networks like Behance that allows you to freely display your works in a simple and intuitive manner.